Human Rights – Mona Eltahawy, a New York based blogger, award-winning columnist, feminist activist, and public speaker on Arab and Muslim issues, was arrested, beaten, and sexually assaulted by police in Cairo Wednesday. Twelve-hours after her arrest, her friends, family, and thousands of her Twitter followers got the simple message, “I AM FREE.”
The prominent Egyptian-American who carries dual citizenship was filming the protests in Tahrir square with an award-winning American filmmaker and journalist, Jehane Nojaim, who was also arrested.
After her release and following hours of questioning, Eltahway said that her “right hand and left arm were broken on Wednesday night by riot police who dragged her by the hair and groped her between the legs.”
Eltahway said she had been held “for several hours being questioned by the Interior Ministry and Military Intelligence officials before being released” and that they “acted like animals.”
“I think when they realised I had dual citizenship they were aware they had to be more careful,” she said. “Eventually they apologized for the police behaviour and sent me home in a taxi.”
Later, via Twitter, she released several disturbing tweets of her experience:
- 5 or 6 surrounded me, groped and prodded by breasts, grabbed my genital area and I lost count how many hands tried to get into my trousers.
- They are dogs and their bosses are dogs. Fuck the Egyptian police.
- Besides beating me, the dogs of CSF subjected me to the worst sexual assault ever
- Yes sexual assault. I’m so used to saying harassment but those fuckings assaulted me.
- The past 12 hrs were painful and surreal but I know I got off much much easier than so many other Egyptians.
- God knows what wuld’ve happened if I wasn’t dual citizen (tho they brought up detained US students) & that I wrote/appeared various media.
- The whole time I was thinking about article I would write; just you fuckers wait.
This is yet another disturbing example of the brutality happening globally. And yet, people are not backing down.
Speedy recovery Eltahway, we can’t wait to read your article.
Follow her on Twitter.